In the first part of “What Does a Phone Number Say about Your Business?” we discussed Direct Inward Dialing (DID) numbers and toll-free numbers as two possible options your business might pursue when enhancing your company’s accessibility. In part two of this blog, we will explore two additional types of numbers: vanity numbers and virtual numbers.
Ah, vanity. We all hope we’re politely modest, but in the business world, you have to be blatantly vain or be buried underneath the competition. What is it you do best? Why is your brand special? The name of the game is flaunt it if you got it.
Just like clothes can “make the man,” vanity numbers can make the business.
So what are they? Vanity numbers are local or toll-free numbers that contain a memorable numeral sequence or an embedded word that represents the business’s products or brand.
For example, food delivery places often want phone numbers ending in repeated digits such as 5555 because they are easy for clients to remember without looking up. Or a ritzy dog-daycare company might want a catchy vanity number that improves their brand recognition, such as 1-800-TOP-DOGS.
In essence, owning a vanity number helps your business accomplish the following:
- Increase memorability
- Stand out in marketing campaigns, including ad jingles
- Define your brand, product, or service
- Boost brand loyalty/familiarity in potential clients
- Increase word-of-mouth referrals
- Match your website domain name for increased recognition
With a vanity number, you’ll be forever imprinted on your clients’ minds, like a unique face in a photograph. How do you get a vanity number? Luckily, if a vanity number that fits your business’s brand or service is available, TelWare can provide it.
Virtual Phone Number
Virtual lines include the number types we’ve talked about so far (DIDs, toll-free numbers, and vanity numbers), but can also include local numbers that are out of your area. Their main goal is to forward calls to an existing mobile line, office line, extension, or voicemail. While virtual lines aren’t exactly a type of phone number on their own, virtual numbers are important for growing businesses that want a more professional image without an expensive phone system.
Their advantages are numerous:
- No hardware: With virtual numbers, you don’t have to purchase extra hardware for each number. Unlike physical phones lines, their setup is simple, and there’s limited maintenance.
- Separation of work and home: With virtual numbers, you won’t have to purchase multiple lines, and even better, you can separate your personal life from your office life by designating one number as your private number and the others for office communication. Callers will hear varied customized voicemail greetings for each virtual number.
- Cost effectiveness: When you purchase a virtual number with an area code in a faraway location, customers and off-site staff can still call you without having to pay long-distance rates.
- Campaign-Effectiveness Tool: While creating ads, many businesses choose to use different local or toll-free number business for each location they are marketing to; then they can see how many customers called from a specific location and adjust their marketing campaign as needed.
- Ability to Cater to Specific Client Bases: If your virtual number is local to a specific area, then you can decide to leave off the area code in your local ads so the number is easier to remember for potential customers.
- Scalability: If you need to add or eliminate numbers as your company changes in size, you can easily manage these alterations yourself.
All in all, virtual numbers can help you with an abundance of goals, including collecting marketing data, decreasing costs, boosting client accessibility, and enhancing your business’s image.
What Do I Do with Numbers from Other Providers?
If you’re worried that you already have a phone number from another provider such as Sprint or AT&T—but you’d like to use TelWare’s products and services—we can place that same number in our network by porting it. Consequently, your clients can still use the same number they are familiar with.
your business wants to increase its brand memorability or increase the client’s
ease of access, TelWare can help you decide which type of number is ideal for
your company’s needs.
To learn more about the benefits of various number types, call TelWare at
1-800-637-3148. TelWare is a national leader in the installation of voice,
video, data, and unified communications solutions.