Cybercriminals lurk at the top of the food chain in the “business ecosystem,” making easy prey of your enterprise’s unsuspecting employees. In fact, according to a Verizon data-breach report, over 90 percent of network breaches occur because users fall victim to phishing attacks, as well as watering-hole and social-engineering assault strategies.
It’s bad enough to put your own company at risk, but sadly, your employees’ lack of knowledge can give cyberpredators easy access to additional unsuspecting prey: your clients. The bottom line? If you want your clients to trust you and continue doing business with you, you are obligated to fully train your employees in cybersecurity awareness, including specific strategies for avoiding malware, ransomware, phishing, and spear-phishing attacks.
The Importance of Cybersecurity Training Programs
A major mistake made by most businesses is to invest solely in cybersecurity technology solutions; technology solutions (such as the SimpleWAN protections provided by TelWare) are equally important, but they must be used in conjunction with the education and training of your organization’s nontechnical employees, information-technology team, and business leadership.
If you don’t have the time or staff to develop an in-house cybersecurity training program, companies like Webroot and KnowBe4 specialize in that area.
Cybersecurity providers have varied offerings, but many provide the following benefits when you pay for their services:
- Easy-to-deploy employee cybersecurity-training courses
- A competitive edge; your clients will appreciate that your business is fully prepared to stand up to today’s real-world threats
- Real-world phishing simulations to test your employees’ knowledge and the effectiveness of employee training
- Customization of your training campaign, including the ability to select specific recipients, the type of email template, the training module, and when you want the training campaign to be launched
- Reduced infection rates and remediation costs
- Training tailored to your business’s size and specific needs
- Ongoing user training that emphasizes the most current threats
- Measurable rates of success — viewable in easy-to-obtain reports
- Employee feedback on progress levels
Most cybersecurity-training providers will teach your employees about the following important topics through interactive courses:
- Safe and secure work practices
- Phishing and spear-phishing awareness
- Hacking awareness
- Social engineering awareness
- Social media awareness
- Best practices for websites and software
- Email security
- Password weaknesses
- Data protection
Businesses of all sizes are recognizing the importance of training their employees as a major first line of defense against cyberattacks, especially since the return on investment for cybersecurity-education programs is significant. Just as importantly, businesses are now formulating specific security goals that they can work toward attaining — and analyzing the company’s ongoing progress with the data provided by cybersecurity reports.
No longer are businesses acting like small guppies grabbing the bait without thought. Instead, they confidently swim amongst dangerous predators, armed with the knowledge necessary for keeping them safe.
Are you looking for network-security technology solutions to accompany your employee cybersecurity-training program as an additional line of defense? Contact TelWare at 1-800-637-3148 or firstname.lastname@example.org. TelWare is a national leader in the installation of voice, video and data solutions.